Saturday 21 November 2015

It's One of Those Days...

Today started off rough. I got up at 10am this morning and every bone in my body ached. My mind was in a dull fog and I had to shower and be ready to go out with my husband to meet friends for Dim Sum in 15 minutes. Not sure how, but I made it and we got to the restaurant early.

Our friends are elderly and Lois had recently been diagnosis as having Parkinson's. I wasn't sure how well she had taken the news, but my fears were in vain. She and her husband, Bob, carried on conversation as if nothing had happened, and I began to realize that just because she had a terminal disease, it did not define who she was as a friend. Her physical weakness was evident, but her spirit was radiant.

It made me think of what I struggle with and how often I surcome to self pity. Self pity is a weakness that is easy to overcome. All it takes is seeing someone else who has a bigger struggle than you do, defeat that voice in their head.

What are you listening to today? I know, for myself, I have one less voice rattling around in my head. Today, self pity is not going to win.

No comments: